Because of the Covid-19 pandemic and the derecho that severely damaged many Iowa gardens, the 2021 American Daylily Society (ADS) Region One Meeting has been canceled.
For the convenience of our Garden Judges and those who want to become new Garden Judges, ADS Region One will offer Garden Judges Workshop 2 (GJW2) at three different locations during daylily bloom season in July 2021. Restroom facilities will be provided. We ask that you follow COVID-19 protocols for social distancing and wear masks.
Garden Judges Workshop 2 is scheduled on the following dates in the following gardens:
- The Central Iowa Daylily Society (CIDS) will offer GJW2 on Sunday July 11 at 9 a.m. in Parkersburg, Iowa at Prairie Wind Gardens. Please contact the Chair and Lead Instructor Phil Fass at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend.
- The Nebraska Daylily Society (NDS) will offer GJW2 on Sunday July 11 at 9 a.m. in Omaha, Nebraska at Mary Baker’s Garden. Please contact the Chair and Lead Instructor Mary Baker at email@example.com or call Mary at 402-933-1496 if you plan to attend. Cold bottled water will be provided. Mary will host an open garden from noon until 2 p.m. following GJW2.
- The Daylily Society of Minnesota (DSM) will offer GJW2 on Saturday, July 31 at 10 a.m. in Woodbury, Minnesota at Steve Horan’s garden. Chair is Kris Henning and the Lead Instructor is Steve Horan. Please contact Kris Henning at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend.
Cost is $5 to take GJW2 for credit and $3 to audit GJW2. Go to the ADS Membership Portal Online Store for a free download of the latest edition (currently 2021) of Judging Daylilies in the Garden and read it prior to attending GJW2.
GJW2 taken during years three through five will count toward renewal of your term. Please click 2021 ADS Region One Garden Judges roster to see when your Garden Judge term expires. Garden Judges, please consider taking GJW2 in summer 2021 if you are in years three through five of your current Garden Judge term (taking GJW2 will count for renewal credit if your term expires in 2021, 2022, or 2023).
All Garden Judges with terms expiring in 2020 received an automatic one-year extension of their Garden Judge terms.
ADS Region One members who wish to become a new Garden Judge are welcome to attend (you must be an ADS member for 12 consecutive months to begin training; to become a garden judge, you must be an ADS member in good standing for 24 continuous months). Please click how to become a new Garden Judge, scroll down to the What are the steps I need to follow to become a garden judge? section, and read the bulleted sentences for more information about becoming a new ADS Garden Judge. ADS periodically offers Garden Judges Workshop 1 (GJW1) online and publicizes when it is available.
ADS Region One Garden Judges who are in year five of their first five-year term (or in any year of a subsequent term) are welcome to assist with Garden Judges Workshop 2 instruction to become a new Garden Judge Instructor. Please contact the Chair of the GJW2 you plan to attend if you want to become a new Garden Judge Instructor. Please click How to Become a Garden Judge Instructor and scroll down to the fifth section "Why and How to Become a Garden Judge Instructor" for more information about becoming a new ADS Garden Judge Instructor.
ADS Region One members attending the 2021 ADS National Convention in Hattiesburg, Mississippi can also:
- Take Garden Judges Workshop 1 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursday, May 20 during the 2021 ADS National Convention to become a new Garden Judge (click 2021 ADS National Convention schedule to see the full schedule).
- Take Garden Judges Workshop 2 from 9 a.m. to noon on Thursday, May 20 during the 2021 ADS National Convention to renew if your current Garden Judge term expires in 2020, 2021, 2022, or 2023 or to become a new Garden Judge (click 2021 ADS National Convention schedule to view the full schedule).
All Garden Judges must vote the 2021 ADS Awards & Honors ballot (see the 2021 Awards & Honors Ballot when available in 2021 for voting instructions).
Please contact me with any questions. As always, I am happy to help!
ADS Region One Garden Judges Liaison